Every month FirstPoint USA aim to showcase the U.S universities that we have helped talented young athletes get a scholarship to. August’s featured university was Binghamton University, New York, where 2 members of FirstPoint staff have attended: Client Service’s – Nicole Montoya, and Clearing Manager – Barry Neville.
The University consists of six schools: Harpur College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Community and Public Affairs, the Decker School of Nursing, the Graduate School of Education, the School of Management and the Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science.
- Binghamton’s four-year graduation rate is among the highest in the nation among our peer public research universities.
- 25% of undergrads go on to receive a graduate degree from Binghamton.
- Binghamton has more than 30 doctoral programs in arts and sciences and its professional schools, and awards more than 100 doctorates every year.
- 86% of Binghamton grads who apply to law school are accepted, compared with 76% nationally.
- Their grads get into medical school at rates that are 13% above the national average.
- There are nearly 95,000 Binghamton alumni spread across all 50 states and around the world.
Binghamton has a whopping 38 sports teams, offering sports from Soccer to Kung Fu! And the Binghamton Bearcats are undoubtedly passionate about their sports, check out the video below of the celebrations from when the Binghamton Bearcats Men’s Basketball team advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in school history, beating UMBC in the 2009 America East Championship.
They also offer the following on-campus facilities:
- FitSpace (fitness center)
- Multipurpose Rooms (Group Fitness classes, Wellness classes)
- Gymnasium (for recreational basketball, volleyball and badminton)
- Wellness Suite
- Pool (lap swim, rec swim and lessons)
- Outdoor Pursuits
- Locker Rooms
- Outdoor Tennis courts (for recreational and Intramural tennis)
- Outdoor track
- Fields 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 for Intramural and Club Sports programming.
- Racquetball and Squash Courts (for recreational racquetball & squash, Intramural and Club Sports programming.)
- Outdoor Basketball Courts, Handball Courts and Tennis Courts.
Campus and Community
- The Binghampton campus is spread across 887 acres on a wooded hillside above the Susquehanna River in the Binghamton suburb of Vestal.
- The University received top recognition in The Princeton Review’s second annual “green rating” of colleges — one of only 15 colleges honored.
- The on-campus Nature Preserve boasts 190 acres of protected forest and wetlands with hiking/biking/running trails and a six-acre pond.
- Downtown Binghamton offers a world-class opera company, a symphony orchestra, movie theaters, clubs, incredible restaurants, bars and professional hockey and baseball teams.
Rankings and Achievements
- The University was named a Public Ivy by Howard and Matthew Greene in a book titled The Public Ivies: America’s Flagship Public Universities (2001).
- The University was ranked by U.S. News in 2010 the 11th Up-and-Coming Schools which are making the most promising and innovative changes in the areas of academics, faculty, and student life.
- Binghamton was ranked 79th in the 2010 National Universities category of the Washington Monthly College rankings
- The school is in the top 4 undergraduate Business Schools in New York State, along with New York University (NYU), Columbia University and Cornell University.
- Binghamton was ranked 197th among all 4-year schools by Forbes 2011 America’s Best Colleges rankings.
- Fiske Guide to Colleges has labeled Binghamton as “The Premier Public University in the Northeast,” a statement that has become prominent in the university’s marketing efforts.One-Hour College Finder: The Best Bargains
Nicole and Barry’s Comments
“Binghamton was our home for four years and we would not have changed it
for the world. We both had incredible experiences on and off the pitch.
We both had traveled around 3,000 miles to get to Binghamton every
year. Homesickness was natural and bound to happen, but the school
really do provide all the support and help you need…FOR ANYTHING.
As an athlete our experience was totally different than the average
student. We would be required to balance everything in our life from
training, to our coursework, road games, missing classes, our social
life – ultimately needing to succeed in the classroom and on the pitch
every single day.
Binghamton is regarded as one of the top academic institutions in the
northeast of the country. Major firms from New York city regularly
recruit graduates to work in their offices upon graduation. Binghamton
University is regularly recognized for their outstanding academic
success and is mentioned in the ‘Princeton Review’ and ‘U.S. News & World
Binghamton will always have a special place in our hearts for many
reasons. The University and athletics program in particular really drill
their values into you and it becomes part of who you are. No matter what
we do or where go, we will always be Binghamton Bearcats for life!”
Do you think you have what it takes to secure a scholarship to study in the USA while playing your favourite sport? Apply now for your assessment!