Campbell Gibson is a former client here at FirstPoint USA and has recently completed the first year of his soccer scholarship at the University of South Carolina. Before heading out to the states, Campbell was a member of the Scottish Youth Football Association for four years; and played with Harmony Row FC where he was named Player of the Year 2015-16.
The Gamecocks midfielder and former St Columba’s pupil kindly took some time out of his schedule recently to talk to us; providing us with his five top tips for student athletes prior to heading out to the US.
- Look into and research the university of your choice fully, so that when you arrive you know what you are expecting. If possible I would recommend an official visit as it allows you to get the proper feel for the place and the people.
- Try to keep fit and even improve your fitness over the summer. Once you arrive, the team and coaches will not give you time to catch up, they will expect you to be ready to hit the ground running.
- Allow yourself to go to America with an open mind, but expect to feel slightly homesick initially; the US is isolated from what you are used to.
- Play your chosen sport so that you are sharp and don't take too long to adjust to the new tempo in the states.
- Most of all enjoy your last summer with your friends and family before you leave them for a period of four months, you will definitely miss them!
Thank you for getting in touch with us Campbell and for offering your advice to future scholars; it's great to hear from a former client. We’d like to wish you the best of luck for the rest of your studies and playing career out in the states.