Football Scholarships: An introduction into the sport scholarship
Thinking about a Football Scholarship (Soccer)? Some successful professional footballers have come through soccer scholarships from American Universities, including Carlos Bocanegra, Maurice Edu & Clint Dempsey who have all gone on to represent the USA at international level. College Soccer in the US is highly competitive and you will be representing your university in competition whilst studying for your academic qualifications.
College soccer in the USA has a rich and diverse history, dating back to the late 1800s. Teams who participate in the college soccer leagues play a variety of conference and nonconference matches during the fall season, with the season culminating in the ﬁnal tournament of the season, the College Cup. The St. Louis Billikens are said to have been the most successful male team, being the victors in 10 College Cup tournaments, while the North Carolina Tar Heels are the most successful female team, racking up 21 College Cup wins! The Hermann Trophy is awarded to the ‘player of the year’ for both men and women teams. Following collegiate careers, top male players often are drafted into the Major League Soccer or other professional leagues world wide. whereas, the top female players are often drafted into the National Women’s Soccer League as well as other international leagues such as: Division 1 Féminine in France, Damallsvenskan in Sweden, Frauen Bundesliga in Germany, W-League in Australia and Nadeshiko League in Japan.
Football Scholarships: When should I apply?
At present we’re currently searching for talented footballers aged 15 to 22. The best possible time for you to go is once you have finished school up until a few years later. We’re finding coaches are taking on athletes at a younger age as this will give them a chance to work with the athlete for a longer period of time. In regards to the amount of time you can be out there for, it really depends on you. Athletes can be in on a football scholarship for anywhere for one to four years. If you’re seriously considering turning professional after college or university, it’s highly recommended to go to the United States as early as possible to start training and studying.
Football Scholarships: What level do I need to be at?
We’ve been helping potential soccer stars of the future gain places in football scholarships at American Universities for many years now. Our consultants will help you to understand how to apply, what tests you need to complete (academic and physical).
In order to get the most opportunities and receive the best scholarship offers, it’s important to keep practicing at football and to do as well as you possible can in your exams.
Coaches then look at the athlete and their potential within their university or college. With the training methods used by coaches, even moderately good athlete’s performances can be boosted. With the help of FirstPoint USA, recruitment coaches will look at the athlete’s videos, performances and will consult us regarding your ability.
There are two types of scholarship that a prospective student-athlete can receive. A ‘full football scholarship’ or a ‘partial football scholarship’. Competition for sports scholarship money is extremely competitive with scholarships being offered to the best players.
A full football scholarship will mean that the university is paying for all tuition, accommodation, food, books and everything related to your sport. At some universities, a full scholarship can equal the investment of almost $400,000 in one, single athlete. At Firstpoint USA, one in every four of our athletes will receive a full scholarship.
A partial football scholarship is just as it sounds; it is where the university are offering you a deal that will cover some, but not all, of the costs associated with attending the university. If, for example, a university costs $50,000 and the coach is giving you a scholarship worth $45,000, then this is a partial scholarship as there is a $5,000 shortfall that the coach wants you to contribute towards the costs of attending the university. Most partial scholarships come with the incentive that if you perform well, both on the field and in the classroom, then the coach can reward you with a scholarship increase and cover any costs that you had been contributing towards.
Football Scholarships: Training Schedule
If you are successful in receiving your soccer scholarship, you will be expected to practice with your team for up to 3-5 hours daily, ﬁve days a week. Training includes drills, strength and conditioning exercises. For an international scholarship holder, training has said to be tough at times because of the physicality of the training and intensity of the conditioning, but don’t fear, we are sure you will acclimatise with no problems.
Football Scholarships: Apply Now
To find out more about the football scholarship process, fill out our form and a FirstPoint USA consultant will be in touch to answer any questions you may have. Alternatively, you can register for one of our UK Football Trials. FirstPoint USA helps thousands of students through this application process every year and we can also assist potential students and athletes will all aspects of studying in the USA, including preparing for campus life and budgeting for the cost of living. We will also help you to choose which University is best suited to your academic qualifications and your level of sporting ability.
To learn more about your chances of becoming a student-athlete on a Sports Scholarship, click the button below to complete our brief registration form and one of our Sports Consultants will be in touch shortly.
Alternatively, sign up now for a UK Football (Soccer) Trial near you.
Why Sign up for a Soccer Scholarship? The Beneﬁts
• Undertaking a soccer scholarship, you have the opportunity to unlock your full potential with the possibility of playing your specialised sport with the balance of receiving a top quality degree. i.e. a healthy balance of athletics and academics.
• Sport in the USA is at a very competitive level, with billions being pumped into college athletics. Players of excellence are able to climb through ranks at the fastest pace with the prospect of turning professional following scholarship experience.
• Facilities at college level soccer are at an incredible standard. Training pitches, indoor gyms and athletics venues are all of a pristine level, not to mention stadiums that can hold a capacity of thousands.
• Meeting other student-athletes in the same position as you will certainly give you motivation to work and train hard, as soccer being a team sport it is true that you all want to play for each other. These relationships will develop throughout your college experience into strong friendships that hopefully will continue following completion of your soccer scholarship.
• There is high demand for talented and skilled soccer players, both male and female, in the States. Coaches look to recruit student-athlete prospects based on criteria. Does the candidate have a strong understanding of soccer? Does the candidate have a collection of playing experience that can be used to their advantage in future matches and events?
• Candidates for soccer scholarships have the opportunity to connect with experienced coaches, who are always at arms length for a chat and are considered mentors. Nutritionists and physiotherapists are also available for student athletes from a health perspective, who again give professional advice.
• Undertaking a soccer scholarship has the previously mentioned added bonus of achieving an internationally recognised degree to add to your CV and this can certainly enhance your professional development.